Re: [Xen-users] Can Ubuntu HVM guests be installed on a loopback fs image?

> Can Ubuntu HVM guests be installed on a loopback fs image?
> Just like images on jailtime.org? I mean e.g Ubuntu 7.10 image?

Yes, guests don't know what their storage is so it's quite easy to make a
guest install on a file-backed VBD.  We recommend using blocktap rather than
loopback to support file-backend VBDs.

In general, you'd just create the VBD file, download an Ubuntu install ISO and
create a config file that pointed to the VBD file as hda and the ISO as the
CD-ROM.  Then you start the VM and install normally.

> Canonical makes really weird alternate.iso which is unbootable undera
> HVM for installation to a file.
> It hangs at loading isolinux.... :(

What is this alternate ISO you're using?  Is it the text mode install ISO,
or...?  Just a link to where you got it from would be helpful ;-)

On my AMD Xen box I can install Ubuntu using the live CD / graphical installer
OK.  This is on CentOS Xen 3.1.

Cheers,
Mark