Re: [Xen-users] Can Ubuntu HVM guests be installed on a loopback fs image?

  • To: "Mark Williamson" <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "pradeep singh rautela" <rautelap@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 10:53:08 +0530
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 21:23:45 -0800

Hi Mark,
On 18/01/2008, Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]
> Yes, guests don't know what their storage is so it's quite easy to make a
> guest install on a file-backed VBD.  We recommend using blocktap rather than
> loopback to support file-backend VBDs.
>
> In general, you'd just create the VBD file, download an Ubuntu install ISO and
> create a config file that pointed to the VBD file as hda and the ISO as the
> CD-ROM.  Then you start the VM and install normally.
>
> > Canonical makes really weird alternate.iso which is unbootable undera
> > HVM for installation to a file.
> > It hangs at loading isolinux.... :(
>
> What is this alternate ISO you're using?  Is it the text mode install ISO,
> or...?  Just a link to where you got it from would be helpful ;-)
Yes the text mode install ISO which comes as alternate-7.10-ubuntu.iso.
Link is
http://ftp.science.nus.edu.sg/linux/ubuntu-ISO/7.10/ubuntu-7.10-alternate-i386.iso
Surprisingly it hangs at loading isolinux....
Fedora-8 iso also blacks out :-/.

I suspect this may be an issue with the machine instead of Xen then.
Can anyone help me over this?
My hardware specs are -
Intel Core2 Duo 2.4 processor
ICH8 family of Intel Controllers on motherboard.
VGA controller is Intel 82Q963/Q965

My home AMD machine works perfectly though for same fedora iso.
So does this means the Intel machine I have got is the culprit here?

> On my AMD Xen box I can install Ubuntu using the live CD / graphical installer
> OK.  This is on CentOS Xen 3.1.

AMD box is heaven for HVM guests but I am skeptical about Intel boxes
like in my case.

Can anyone suggest me something or tell me which is to blame here Xen,
Ubuntu, Intel machine or me ?

Thanks,
        ~Pradeep