Re: [Xen-users] how to upgrade a linux guest OS under Xen

> I'm having trouble upgrading a guest OS, and want to know what steps I
> should take to do that.
>
> specifically I'm trying to upgrade a trixbox 2.3.x install to 2.4 (both
> are CentOS 5).
>
> this is my situation:
> - I'm using XenSource 3.0. I've burned a trixbox install CD and have it
> in the CD drive (/dev/hda).
> - I have the same ISO mounted on another machine and served as a http
> source for the installation (just in case that is easier).
> - I've selected the /dev/hda to be passed on to the guest, but it seems
> that it doesn't boot the guest OS with the CD.

Is it a paravirt guest?  Paravirt guests can't boot off CD-ROMs.  If it's an
HVM guest, you need to make sure the CD drive is enabled as the first boot
device (for Open Source Xen you usually put boot="d" in the config file, d is
the drive letter representing the CD-ROM)

> - I can mount /dev/hda (the CD) in the guest.
>
> Is there something I need to set to allow the guest to boot off that CD,
> or is there another way to upgrade.

Especially if you're using a PV guest, it may be worth investigating whether
it's possible to just upgrade using yum, rather than the upgrade CD.

Cheers,
Mark