Re: [Xen-users] how to upgrade a linux guest OS under Xen

Mark Williamson wrote:
I'm having trouble upgrading a guest OS, and want to know what steps I
should take to do that.

specifically I'm trying to upgrade a trixbox 2.3.x install to 2.4 (both
are CentOS 5).

this is my situation:
- I'm using XenSource 3.0. I've burned a trixbox install CD and have it
in the CD drive (/dev/hda).
- I have the same ISO mounted on another machine and served as a http
source for the installation (just in case that is easier).
- I've selected the /dev/hda to be passed on to the guest, but it seems
that it doesn't boot the guest OS with the CD.

Is it a paravirt guest? Paravirt guests can't boot off CD-ROMs. If it's an HVM guest, you need to make sure the CD drive is enabled as the first boot device (for Open Source Xen you usually put boot="d" in the config file, d is the drive letter representing the CD-ROM)

it is a paravirt guest... so upgrading via CD looks bleak.
- I can mount /dev/hda (the CD) in the guest.

Is there something I need to set to allow the guest to boot off that CD,
or is there another way to upgrade.

Especially if you're using a PV guest, it may be worth investigating whether it's possible to just upgrade using yum, rather than the upgrade CD.

Cheers,
Mark

I will give "yum upgrade" a try - here's hoping!

Thanks for the information esp. on pv guests - that will save me a bunch of time looking for a non-existent solution.

-Mark