RE: [Xen-users] New binary release of GPL PV drivers for Windows

> First problem is when I select the '/gplpv' entry in the boot menu, I
get
> BSOD (message available on request) and the following messages in
dom0's
> (fc8) syslog:
>
> Feb  2 18:03:42 Insp6400 kernel: blkback: ring-ref 2047, event-channel
5,
> protocol 1 (x86_32-abi)
> Feb  2 18:03:42 Insp6400 kernel: blkback: ring-ref 2046, event-channel
6,
> protocol 1 (x86_32-abi)

That tells me you are running a Dom0 with Xen 3.1.1+ patches applied. Is
that correct?

If you could send me a screen capture of the BSoD, or just the numbers
on it, that could be useful.

Yours and others' feedback tells me that I haven't actually fixed the
bug that a lot of people had reported. And I just can't reproduce the
problem. What version of Windows are you testing under? I need to know
the product (eg windows 2003 std edition r2) and what service packs you
have applied.

> Then I rebooted w/o /gplpv, and was pleased to see that Taskmgr
reported I
> had
> a 2nd connection anyway, Local Area Connection 2, 1Gbps. After some
> initial
> confusion about why all the computers in my subnet were getting dhcp
> discovery messages logged on their firewalls every 10 secs, I realized
> that
> both windows connections were using the same mac address, and the '2'
> connection was being ignored by my router/dhcp server. I went into
windows
> Start -> Connect To -> Show all connections, and disabled the original
> Local
> Area Connection.
>
> I must say, I don't actually see any speed improvements in my crude
tests.
> Do
> I have to do anything to configure the hard disk in windows like I had
> disable one of my Local Area Connections?

You should disable the existing qemu-provided LAN device, otherwise you
probably won't see any difference.

> What about the remaining PCI devices under 'Other Devices' in Device
> Manager,
> console and vfb, that you didn't have drivers for? I didn't notice any
> mention of them in the ToDo.

I just disable them. I don't know that there is any benefit in providing
PV drivers for them. I might put a stub driver together so at least they
don't stand out in device manager.

James