Re: [Xen-users] New binary release of GPL PV drivers for Windows

On Saturday 02 February 2008 08:44:23 pm James Harper wrote:
> > Feb  2 18:03:42 Insp6400 kernel: blkback: ring-ref 2047, event-channel 5,
> > protocol 1 (x86_32-abi)
> > Feb  2 18:03:42 Insp6400 kernel: blkback: ring-ref 2046, event-channel 6,
> > protocol 1 (x86_32-abi)
>
> That tells me you are running a Dom0 with Xen 3.1.1+ patches applied. Is
> that correct?

Xen 3.1.2, kernel 2.6.21 w/xen.gz compiled from 3.1.0-rc7 (by fedora), all
32bit PAE.

> If you could send me a screen capture of the BSoD, or just the numbers
> on it, that could be useful.

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF8AB9524,0xC0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)

> Yours and others' feedback tells me that I haven't actually fixed the
> bug that a lot of people had reported. And I just can't reproduce the
> problem. What version of Windows are you testing under? I need to know
> the product (eg windows 2003 std edition r2) and what service packs you
> have applied.

WinXP Pro SP2.

> > both windows connections were using the same mac address, and the '2'
> > connection was being ignored by my router/dhcp server. I went into windows
> > Start -> Connect To -> Show all connections, and disabled the original
> > Local Area Connection.
> >
> > I must say, I don't actually see any speed improvements in my crude tests.
Do
> > I have to do anything to configure the hard disk in windows like I had to
> > disable one of my Local Area Connections?
>
> You should disable the existing qemu-provided LAN device, otherwise you
> probably won't see any difference.

As I said, I did disable the original 'Local Area Connection'. I was asking
about the hard disk.

> > What about the remaining PCI devices under 'Other Devices' in Device
Manager,
> > console and vfb, that you didn't have drivers for? I didn't notice any
> > mention of them in the ToDo.
>
> I just disable them. I don't know that there is any benefit in providing
> PV drivers for them. I might put a stub driver together so at least they
> don't stand out in device manager.

Actually, the console is the one area of hvm that cries the most for a speed
increase. Don't know how much can actually be done with a virtual card, tho'.