Re: [Xen-users] HVM clock running at lightspeed?

  • To: "xen-users @ lists. xensource. com" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Tom Horsley <tom.horsley@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 21:40:21 -0500
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 08 Feb 2008 18:41:03 -0800

On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 18:09:49 -0800
"Paul Reiber" <reiber@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> You'll still want to keep a close eye on it, test it slowly...

Actually the time doesn't stay in sync at all on any of the VMs
when left to themselves, which is why I run ntp on all of them :-).

I found about as many web pages saying I really need to run ntp
as I found saying it is a horrible mistake to run ntp on the
virtual machines, but for me, running ntp makes all the machines
work much better. (We can do things like build software from NFS
mounted source directories without getting thousands of messages
about clock times being in the future :-).

On a possibly related note:

I used to notice console messages in the VM consoles about
"instable clock source" (usually right before they crashed),
but I haven't seen any of those since I switched the host to
xen 3.2.