Re: [Xen-users] question on migrating disk from current server to HVM

xenlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I'm trying to decide the best way to migrate the contents of a disk on a live server to a hardware virtual machine under Xen.

The live server has an 83G disk with three partitions:

    100M     /boot with ext2
    2G     swap
    81G    / with ext3

On the Xen server, I have a hardware RAID storage with LVM2 running. I have created a logical volume for the new HVM.

Here's the question: Is there any way to copy the disk contents and/or structure from the live server to the logical volume without having to boot an OS and format the logical volume first?

I've run a sample dd command on /dev/hda on the live server, piping it through gzip to a spare disk. It compresses down to about 8G. I'm just not sure what to do with it now that I have it. Can I simply uncompress, pipe through dd and send it to the device for the logical volume?

Just dd if=<uncompressed file> of=/dev/mapper/logical-volume  would work?

--Sadique

Any good examples out there for this?

Thanks.

LT