[Xen-users] [Fwd: craig@xxxxxxxxxxx: Please confirm your message to me]

Hi,

Those who are seeking help from public mailing lists are kindly requested to abstain from such imposing such rules and regulations.

--Sadique

--
Red Hat Software Services (India) Pvt. Ltd.
6th Floor, East Wing

Mobile +919890354236
Tel: +91 20 40057363

If you want things you've never had, you have to do things you've never done.
--- Begin Message ---
Hello!  This is craig@xxxxxxxxxxxx

I am using WingNET's Zero Spam Tolerance service which
verifies that each e-mail I receive is from a real
person.

Since this is your first time e-mailing me since I
started using this service, your e-mail message with
the subject of:
        "Re: [Xen-users] question on migrating disk from current server to
 HVM"
is being held because your address was not recognized.

If you simply "Reply" to this message, your original
message will be delivered to my inbox immediately.
You will also be added automatically to my "good
e-mail" list which means you won't have to do this
step again.

If for some reason your e-mail program does not have
a "Reply" feature, just click the link below, and follow
the instructions:

http://mail.wingnet.net/cgi-bin/tmda.cgi?89&craig@xxxxxxxxxxx&1202539636.13757.ba864c

Thanks for helping me to reduce the amount of junk
e-mail I receive.

| This notice was generated by WingNET's Zero Spam
| Tolerance service which reduces 99-100% of the junk
| e-mail for most of our customers. If you are tired
| of getting junk e-mail, let us help. We offer
| affordable e-mail hosting services for domain names
| as well as individual boxes.  For more information,
| e-mail zst@xxxxxxxxxxxx
--- Begin Message ---
xenlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I'm trying to decide the best way to migrate the contents of a disk on a live server to a hardware virtual machine under Xen.

The live server has an 83G disk with three partitions:

    100M     /boot with ext2
    2G     swap
    81G    / with ext3

On the Xen server, I have a hardware RAID storage with LVM2 running. I have created a logical volume for the new HVM.

Here's the question: Is there any way to copy the disk contents and/or structure from the live server to the logical volume without having to boot an OS and format the logical volume first?

I've run a sample dd command on /dev/hda on the live server, piping it through gzip to a spare disk. It compresses down to about 8G. I'm just not sure what to do with it now that I have it. Can I simply uncompress, pipe through dd and send it to the device for the logical volume?

Just dd if=<uncompressed file> of=/dev/mapper/logical-volume  would work?

--Sadique

Any good examples out there for this?

Thanks.

LT