[Xen-users] Has anyone successfully set up a dhcp/iptables firewall in dom0 NATing traffic from domU?

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Rich Brown" <rgsbrown@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 00:17:28 -0700
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 23:18:03 -0800

I've been struggling with this problem for a few days now perhaps
someone here has had experience with this problem already.  I am
trying to set up a rack server lke this:

dom0: iptables/dhcp
dom1: LAMP server
dom2: MAIL server
dom3: VNC vm for graphical admin and web tools

Dom0 has one physical interface eth0 which receives a static ip, i
have also set up a bridge called br0 that i have bound dnsmasq to in
order to dole out ips to the domU's.  The domU's are assigned a mac
address and once they boot dhclient requests an ip over 192.168.0.1
which works well.  Once the domU has booted I can ping the other
domU's by ip and the br0 itself at 192.168.0.1 as well as accessing
all the servers in the domUs in my internal network.  I.e. I can hit
the webserver in dom1 from dom3.  I can also ping external sites by
domain name like google.com.  Unfortunately that is about all I can
do.  I cannot access any other form of net traffic from inside the
domU, i.e I cannot access the web or rsync.  My question is basically,
is this a problem with Xen networking or is it a problem with
iptables?  Both?

 - Rich