Re: [Xen-users] Exporting a PCI Device

  • To: "Jan Kalcic" <jandot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Todd Deshane" <deshantm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 09:14:26 -0500
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 06:15:04 -0800

On Feb 18, 2008 6:02 AM, Jan Kalcic <jandot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Todd Deshane wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Feb 17, 2008 6:34 PM, Jan Kalcic <jandot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:jandot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     Hi All,
>
>     just a quick question I could not figure out. Is there a way to
>     export a
>     PCI device to multiple VMs (para) keeping it available to dom0? Xen
>     version is 3.0.4.
>

> As far as I know you can't. That is what virtual devices are used for
> right?
>
> In what scenario would you want to grant direct access to a PCI device
> in VMs and also in dom0?

Hi Todd,

the PCI device which I would need to "share" is the fibre channel card
connected to two different storage, on of this is the VMs repository
which has to be visible to dom0 and the other one is the data storage
for VMs which, obviously, has to be visibile to VMs. So the solution
would be using two different fibre channel cards, right?

Adding more hardware is usually a nice solution if you can, since you it will be easier to configure and you should get better performance. You could then dedicate one card to dom0 and one card to a driver domain.

As far as I know there isn't a way to do what you want yet with configuration tricks in Xen. And I don't know for sure if Xen support would be written in the future. I am not an expert on this. Can others comment?

Thanks,
Todd

Thanks,
Jan