Re: [Xen-users] Exporting a PCI Device

  • To: deshantm@xxxxxxxxx
  • From: Jan Kalcic <jandot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 16:33:55 +0100
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 07:32:53 -0800

Todd Deshane wrote:

> On Feb 18, 2008 6:02 AM, Jan Kalcic <jandot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:jandot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     Todd Deshane wrote:
>     >
>     > Hi,
>     >
>     > On Feb 17, 2008 6:34 PM, Jan Kalcic <jandot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>     <mailto:jandot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>     > <mailto:jandot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:jandot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>>
>     wrote:
>     >
>     >     Hi All,
>     >
>     >     just a quick question I could not figure out. Is there a way to
>     >     export a
>     >     PCI device to multiple VMs (para) keeping it available to
>     dom0? Xen
>     >     version is 3.0.4.
>     >
>     >
>     > As far as I know you can't. That is what virtual devices are
>     used for
>     > right?
>     >
>     > In what scenario would you want to grant direct access to a PCI
>     device
>     > in VMs and also in dom0?
>     >
>     Hi Todd,
>
>     the PCI device which I would need to "share" is the fibre channel card
>     connected to two different storage, on of this is the VMs repository
>     which has to be visible to dom0 and the other one is the data storage
>     for VMs which, obviously, has to be visibile to VMs. So the solution
>     would be using two different fibre channel cards, right?
>

> Adding more hardware is usually a nice solution if you can, since you
> it will be easier to configure and you should get better performance.
> You could then dedicate one card to dom0 and one card to a driver domain.
>
> As far as I know there isn't a way to do what you want yet with
> configuration tricks in Xen. And I don't know for sure if Xen support
> would be written in the future. I am not an expert on this. Can others
> comment?

Thanks Todd,

this is exactly what I was thinking. More hardware and better
performance. I just wanted to know if there is, as you said, a tricky
solution for this which would avoid to purchase new hardware. Of course,
any other suggestion is welcome.

Thanks,
Jan