Re: [Xen-users] VMWare vs. Xen, is the conflict by VMware deliberate?

  • To: Javier Guerra <javier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 08:38:23 +0000
  • Cc: xen list <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 00:39:03 -0800

Javier Guerra wrote:
On 2/18/08, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The bit about refusing to run with a Xen hypervisor in place was very
clear, however. It might be justified, but the refusal to even try to
start up seemed excessively harsh. I'm happy to accept a warning that
what I'm about to attempt with my software is a bad idea, but I want a
reference to exactly what the problem is or at least the ability to try
it, anyway, after insisting on the warning.

in most cases, "check; but try anyway" would be a serious bug IMO.

if you're trying to run VMWare on PV, 'trying' would definitely fail,
and quite possibly crash the whole system.  that's because PV doesn't
emulate hardware, not even close.

if it's refusing to run on HVM... well, it _should_ run, possibly with
some limitations, and big overhead... but run.  then i would say it's
not nice on VMWare's part

Javier, I was trying to do this on Dom0, not inside a DomU. I'll take a shot at a fully Xen virtualized DomU runn VMWare inside it, as soon as I get a few cycles.