Re: [Xen-users] how to use prebuilt images from jailtime.org?

Evan Lavelle wrote:
Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

I gave up on the jailtime images a while ago: they're useful, but I find a fast virt-install to be similarly useful and to cooperate with the CentOS/RHEL ideas about where things go.

Have you had any success with using virt-install with a distribution which is not the same as your Dom0? The FC7 docs imply that you can only install FC7 guests, so I haven't tried it.

It's not true. For paravirtualized guests, you can use virt-install to install any guests which follow the packaging method followed by RHEL for its distribution. By this I mean, there should be a xenified kernel and initrd image for the virt-install to kick off the booting at xen/images in the installation tree. So any versions of RHEL (4.5 and above), Centos (4.5 and above), Fedora (fc5 and above) should work fine without any problems.

For fully virtualized guests, I have so far been successful to install debian, ubuntu and windows, so far tested, using virt-install/virt-manager.

--Sadique

Moving the jailtime image to LVM is a pain, so I'd prefer virt-install if it does the job.

Thanks

Evan