Re: [Xen-users] how to use prebuilt images from jailtime.org?

Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
Rudi Ahlers wrote:
Hi

Does anyone know how to use the images from http://www.jailtime.org/? I've downloaded the CentOS 5.1 (http://www.jailtime.org/download:centos:v5.1) to my CentOS 5.1 x64 Xen 3.1 server, and unpacked it to my /home folder.

Then I took the included config file, centos.5-1.xen3.cfg and copied it to /xen - and modified to my needs:

[root@gimbli home]# more /etc/xen/centos5-1
kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-53.1.13.el5xen"
memory = 256
name = "centos5-1"
vif = [ '' ]
dhcp = "dhcp"
#disk = ['file:/home/vm/centos.5-1.img,sda1,w', 'file:/home/centos.swap,sda2,w']
#root = "/dev/xvda1 ro"

disk = [ "tap:aio:/home/vm/centos.5-1.img,xvda,w" ]
root = "/dev/xvda ro"

Yet, when I try and use it, I get the following error:
VFS: Cannot open root device "xvda" or unknown-block(0,0)
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
I gave up on the jailtime images a while ago: they're useful, but I find a fast virt-install to be similarly useful and to cooperate with the CentOS/RHEL ideas about where things go. In particular, the /etc/fstab of the Jailtime image expects partitions to be on /dev/sda, while the current Xen installers and kernels put them in /dev/xvda.

Check the /etc/fstab of your image (which should be mountable with kpartx and loopback mounts, and look at its /etc/fstab. Or simply mount the partitions as /dev/sda the same way that the Jailtime author did.

That didn't work, I've tried it already. Changing the /dev/sda1 line in /mnt/centos5.1/etc/fstab (image mounted with look device) to /dev/xvda1 gave me the same error, except for pointing to a different block device.

Looking at /mnt/centos5.1/dev - there is no xvdX devices, so this is a problem.

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Web:   http://www.SoftDux.com