Re: [Xen-users] Xen and eth device bonding

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: b52@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 10:50:38 +0100 (CET)
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 04 Mar 2008 01:51:31 -0800

> Hi list,
>
> I'm trying to set up a bonding interface inside my XEN-3.2 dom0, so far
> without success. Following configuration:
>
> Intel P4 System, Debian Etch with XEN-3.2 running. The eth devices are
> Intel 82546EB based network card. These are connected to a switch, which
> is doing LACP.
>
> Now my problem is, that I can't get any packet through the bond. I see
> the kernel enslaves the devices, adds them to the bond etc, everything
> like normal but mii-tool on bond0 says "no link" as well as
> /proc/net/bonding/bond0. Looks like following:
> Ethernet Channel Bonding Driver: v3.0.3 (March 23, 2006)
>
> Bonding Mode: IEEE 802.3ad Dynamic link aggregation
> Transmit Hash Policy: layer2 (0)
> MII Status: down
> MII Polling Interval (ms): 100
> Up Delay (ms): 200
> Down Delay (ms): 200
>
> 802.3ad info
> LACP rate: slow
> Active Aggregator Info:
>         Aggregator ID: 1
>         Number of ports: 1
>         Actor Key: 17
>         Partner Key: 1
>         Partner Mac Address: 00:00:00:00:00:00
>
> Slave Interface: eth2
> MII Status: up
> Link Failure Count: 0
> Permanent HW addr: 00:04:23:bc:1a:40
> Aggregator ID: 1
>
> Slave Interface: eth3
> MII Status: up
> Link Failure Count: 0
> Permanent HW addr: 00:04:23:bc:1a:41
> Aggregator ID: 2
>
> dmesg:
> Ethernet Channel Bonding Driver: v3.0.3 (March 23, 2006)
> bonding: MII link monitoring set to 100 ms
> ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): bond0: link is not ready
> ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth2: link is not ready
> bonding: bond0: enslaving eth2 as a backup interface with a down link.
> ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): eth3: link is not ready
> bonding: bond0: enslaving eth3 as a backup interface with a down link.
> e1000: eth2: e1000_watchdog: NIC Link is Up 1000 Mbps Full Duplex
> ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth2: link becomes ready
> bonding: bond0: link status up for interface eth2, enabling it in 200 ms.
> bonding: bond0: link status definitely up for interface eth2.
> e1000: eth3: e1000_watchdog: NIC Link is Up 1000 Mbps Full Duplex
> ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): eth3: link becomes ready
> bonding: bond0: link status up for interface eth3, enabling it in 200 ms.
> bonding: bond0: link status definitely up for interface eth3.
>
> On another machine with current LK (but without xen) this works as
> intended. I played around with updelay and use_carrier options of
> bonding.ko module but no success. Google didn't come up with anything
> useful to date. Do you have any ideas?

Actually I have a similar setup but didn't use the xen network script. I
use the distribution scripts (debian etch) to setup a bond0 device and put
it in a bridge br0. This all happens before I start xend. I commented the
network-bridge script in xend-config but still use vif-bridge with the
parameter bridge=br0. Thats it and it works.

Regards,
Holger