Re: [Xen-users] Help Starting a Guest OS from LiveCD

On Mi, MÃr 05, 2008 at 06:22:35 +0530, M P Sairam wrote:
> Do i need to upgrade my hardware???

You need a host system with a HVM-capable CPU
and HVM-aware BIOS.

If your hardware does not support HVM,
you may use qemu or switch to pv mode (needs
modification of the LiveCD ISO).

To use qemu just install it and run:

qemu -cdrom livecd.iso

> Igor Chubin wrote:
>> On Mi, MÃr 05, 2008 at 03:59:40 +0530, M P Sairam wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>    I'm a newbie to Xen.
>>>
>>>    I was using VMware until now to work on a guest OS which will boot
>>>  from a live CD. How to boot the same CD in Xen, and how to write a
>>> new  configuration file (vmx) file for this.
>>>

>> 1. Create config file /etc/xen/knoppix (you can use any different name)
>>

>> $ cat /etc/xen/knoppix
>>

>> kernel = "hvmloader"
>> builder='hvm'
>> memory = 128
>> name = "knoppix"
>> vif = [ 'type=ioemu, bridge=xenbr0' ]
>> disk = [ 'file:/path/to/your/knoppix.iso,hda:cdrom,r' ]
>> device_model = 'qemu-dm'
>> sdl=0
>> vnc=1
>> vncpasswd=''
>> stdvga=0
>> serial='pty'
>> boot='d'
>>

>> 2. Start the domain
>>

>> xm create knoppix
>>

>> 3. Attach to its vnc console:
>>
>> vncviewer 127.0.0.1:0
>>

>> Note that bridge xenbr0 must exist!
>> If your virtual bridge's name differs from xenbr0, specify correct name
>> in the config file.
>>

>> Also you can google for any information related to Xen HVM domains.
>>

>>>    I'm working on a Intel P4 2.8GHz based Desktop PC with 2GB of RAM.
>>> Do i need to change my configuration?
>>>
>>>    Please give me steps.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>> Sairam
>>>
>>> ********************************************************************************
>>> This email message (including any attachments) is for the sole use of
>>> the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential, proprietary
>>> and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure
>>> or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient,
>>>  please immediately notify the sender by reply email and destroy all
>>> copies of the original message. Thank you.
>>>
>>> Intoto Inc.

> This email message (including any attachments) is for the sole use of the
> intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential, proprietary and
> privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
> please immediately notify the sender by reply email and destroy all
> copies of the original message. Thank you.
>
> Intoto Inc.

WBR, i.m.chubin