Re: [Xen-users] disappearing network?

Hi Tom,

I have quite similar effects on my Ubuntu Gutsy x86_64 with Xen 3.1.

If the network setup is mangled in some way, shutting down writes a different MAC Adress to my NIC device, usually FE:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF from the peth0 device.

The next reboot brings the NIC up as eth1 (through udev device naming in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules). But with eth1 as the only NIC xenbr0 doesn't work.

So I have no luck after reboot.

As a workaround I write my MAC Address back to NIC in /etc/rc.d/xend
/etc/init.d/xend
    stop)
          xend stop
   ===>   ifconfig peth0 hw ether 00:11:22:33:44:55 down
   ===>   ifconfig eth1 hw ether 00:11:22:33:44:55 down

Booting with non-xen kernel doesn't establich the xenbr0. This is an other way to get your NIC with your proper MAC adress up, named as eth0 through /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules.

Stefan

Tom Horsley wrote:
I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered this network problem:

The xen server is up for several weeks, then suddenly the network connection to the box stops working. Rebooting doesn't fix it, but rebooting to a non-xen kernel does fix it, then rebooting back into xen again, I find that it is once again working.

Happened most recently with x86_64 debian etch and Xen 3.2, before that happened with sles10sp1 and xen 3.1 (this is the same hardware just running different host
linux & xen these days).

I have difficulty imagining where it could be caching "the network should be
broken" flag across reboots, or why rebooting with a different kernel would fix it, but I thought I'd ask on the microscopic chance that it makes sense to someone
out there :-).