Re: [Xen-users] Release 0.8.5 of GPL PV drivers for Windows

James Harper schrieb:
James Harper schrieb:
I've just uploaded 0.8.5. Please uninstall all the 0.8.4 drivers
first
or you'll get BSoD's on attempting the upgrade. I'm sure there's a
way
to make this a bit cleaner (eg require a reboot instead of crashing)
but
I don't know how at this point.

Download from http://www.meadowcourt.org/WindowsXenPV-0.8.5.zip
Bad, thing is that win2008 enforces singed drivers, so someone have to
deal with this, also win2008 dowsn't seem to have a boot.ini anymore,
so
we have to use bcdedit.

I'll have a look on these but sounds ugly.

I think you can tweak the registry to turn off the signing requirement.

In the long term I may look at the possibility of getting the drivers
signed, but this costs money so I'd have to charge something for the
signed drivers to recoup the costs, unless the amount was tiny. The
source and unsigned drivers would remain free of course.

At this stage, there are definitely a few things in the drivers that
Microsoft would frown upon, so passing the WHQL testing is probably not
possible at this point.

James

Ok, i've done some code reading yesterday, so i got this.

adding GPLPV using bcdedit enables the drivers, adding DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS make the system booting again.

Currently i'm working on setting both with an easy configurebootloader.bat.

The blockdev stuff works the system boots and is looks pretty stable.
I performed some hdd reading benchmarks with interesting results, I'll have to check them first, and complete them with write testing.

But one result is clear, using qemu adds the benefit that the dom0 seems to use ram caching, so on a quite powerful machine the qemu stuff looks partially faster, but i think when i give the dom0 less ram this will disappear.

Good is that using the PV blockdev driver there is no significant systemload in dom0, with qemu one core runs at 100%.

So, far some testing is needed but when the network stuff works also, i'll have a look on the signing stuff, afaik it must be signed at all, not necessarily by microsoft. So I have to check if i could use my sign for that, hopeful that DFN or CA-Cert are at least a bit trustworthy ;)

Florian