Re: [Xen-users] Best practice to backup dom0 and all domU's

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008, Rudi Ahlers wrote:

> Stefan, you may have a spare server in the office for this, but in a
> hosting environment, you have to pay for every server you want, and I
> have to be honest with you, it's cheaper to buy 200GB FTP space, than
> another server JUST for backups. And I don't see why any host who
> doesn't offer / use iSCSI should suddenly start offering it just cause
> OpenSolaris is free. Cause what you say is to have an iSCSI server with
> the VM's on, and then backup that server, so that means you'd need 3
> physical servers
>
> OpenSolaris isn't the answer to everything.

I'm a contracter for a company that is in the same situation. And having a
storage infrastructure is something you get customers with, usually not
loose. But all depends on how big you are. I think 24 Xen servers with one
fileserver is not a bad ratio. 1:1 is...

Stefan