Re: [Xen-users] Booting xen in xen?

On Di, MÃr 25, 2008 at 11:01:00 -0700, Rick Strong wrote:
> Hi,
>
> First off,  I am a hardware go so if these questions are obvious, sorry
> in advanced.
>
> I wanted to boot xen in a guest domain on top of xen. I believe this
> should be possible if the underlying xen is full system enabled and the
> guest domain xen is paravirtualized, but I am fairly new to this.  Has
> anyone tried this before?

This problem was discussed here before.
You can search the list archives for more information.

You can have two levels of virtualization if you have VT-x system:

1      2      3
-----------------------
dom0   domU-HVM
--------||-------------
       dom0   domU-PV
-----------------------

Without HVM usage it is impossible
to run nested Xen domains.

If you want to get more levels of virtualization
you can use QEMU (withou kqemu!).
Also take a look at OpenVZ in Xen (may be it is not exactly
what you want, but may be it helps).

> Also, I was wondering what the best way of proceeding towards this goal
> is in the guest domain. When I start xen on hardware, I use grub to load
> the xen hypervisor as the kernel and pass domain 0 and its initrd as
> modules. However, in a guest domain, I wont necessarily have grub. Is
> there an easy  way to pass the modules to a kernel in a xen guest domain
> startup script? I only ask because you definitely are able to pass
> kernel, so being able to pass a module may be possible.

When you run HVM-domain (level 2 in my picture shown above),
you use GRUB inside it.
HVM is not PV and you must use boot loader,
as in case when you make normal machine boot.

> Thanks in advance,
> -Rick

WBR, i.m.chubin