RE: [Xen-users] Can someone please build a Xen 3.2 rpm for CentOS 5.1x64?

  • To: "Rudi Ahlers" <Rudi@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-users" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Ross S. W. Walker" <rwalker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 13:03:03 -0400
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 10:03:35 -0700

Rudi Ahlers wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I'm looking for the rpm's for Xen 3.2 x64 to use on CentOS 5.1.
> Unfortunately I have had no joy in trying to rebuild the src rpm. If
> anyone has done it before, please let me know

I can get you going, though you will need to type in the commands
to compile it on your end.

1) Install CentOS 5.1 x86_64 + virtualization package

2) Install these packages via yum:

# yum intstall gcc binutils dev86 bison flex kernel-xen-devel transfig
libidn-devel zlib-devel texi2html SDL-devel curl-devel libX11-devel
python-devel ghostscript tetex-latex ncurses-devel gtk2-devel libaio-devel perl
glibc-devel.x86_64 glibc-devel.i386 gettext gnutls-devel openssl-devel

A lot of dependencies will be pulled in, but hey that's life..

3) Download the xen 3.2 src rpm from xen.org and install it

4) cd to '/usr/src/redhat/SPECS' and type in 'rpmbuild -ba xen.spec'

If it aborts with an error, it shouldn't, so post it and
someone will help you with it.

5) cd to '/usr/src/redhat/RPMS/x86_64' and type in
'rpm -Uvh xen-3.2.0-0xs.x86_64.rpm xen-libs-3.2.0-0xs.x86_64.rpm'

Then your done.

There are 2 issues I encountered with the xen.org 3.2 version.

1) The Xen API interface doesn't handle an unspecified
'timer_mode' option which causes virt-manager and
virt-install to break. There is a patch for this and
I can send a patched src rpm with it if you want.

2) utc_timeoffset isn't automatically calculated so
you need to specify it. I also have a patch for that
too, included in my new src rpm.

-Ross