Re: [Xen-users] Can someone please build a Xen 3.2 rpm for CentOS 5.1 x64?

  • To: "xen-users" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Ryan Burke" <burke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 12:06:26 -0500 (CDT)
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 10:06:58 -0700

> Tom Brown wrote:
>>

>>> I'm looking for the rpm's for Xen 3.2 x64 to use on CentOS 5.1.
>>> Unfortunately I have had no joy in trying to rebuild the src rpm. If
>>> anyone has done it before, please let me know
>>>

>> what is the error you are seeing - the link below is great and
>> outlines exactly how to build this from the src rpm
>>
>> http://www.nabble.com/Xen-3.2---CentOS-td15662499.html
>>

> HI Tom.
>
> I clearly don't have the experience to properly do this, and currently
> my test machine has a lot of extra software installed which I don't even
> know if I need it / want it. The server will run cPanel, so I need to
> have an absolute bare bones system.
>
> Needless to say, I don't know what exactly to give you. The snippets of
> forum / mailing lists posts I have read so far have given me some stuff
> to work with, but nothing concrete and step-by-step. I also don't have
> the bandwidth to download every suggested package and try it out just to
> see it's not working. Nor do I have endless hours at hand to learn all
> of this. I'm not a developer / programmer, so I don't even know how to
> debug the stuff I do. Having run rpmbuild --rebuild --target x86_64
> xen-3.2.0-0xs.centos5.src.rpm* -* I don't know where what is, and I
> don't see a modified rpm. I know enough about rpm files and how to use
> them, but not how to make them.
>
> I basically need an easy way to deploy XEN server, without having to
> compile tarball files, and without having to rebuild a src.rpm on every
> machine. So, a pre-build rpm would be nice, then I can just include it
> on the installation CD and install when needed
>
> --
>
> Kind Regards
> Rudi Ahlers
> CEO, SoftDux
>
> Web:   http://www.SoftDux.com
> Check out my technical blog, http://blog.softdux.com for Linux or other
> technical stuff, or visit http://www.WebHostingTalk.co.za for Web Hosting
> stuff

Have you looked into the "make dist" option when compiling from hte Xen
3.2 tarball? It basically pacakges everything into the "dist" directory in
the xen-3.2.0 directory. If comes with its own install script so basically
you compile/build it once, then tar it up and scp it to the other
machines. On the other machines untar it cd dist/ and run install.sh. tHen
you'll need to edit your grub.conf to boot to the new kernel. It is a
pretty easy way of doing it if you have identical hardware architectues
(32 bit or 64 bit), if not then you'd need to build it for each different
hardware architecture. Of course you'll want to build the specific driver
modules for all your systems as well. Either way it is fairly easy without
having to build it on every system.

Ryan