Re: [Xen-users] Convert CentOS system to Xen image?

> > > rsync will indiscriminately copy-over files that it shouldn't.
> >
> > What do you mean?
>
> Well rsync was really designed to replicate data from
> one system to another, but this isn't technically
> replication here as not all configs will be the same.
>
> If it's a data volume like /home, then you might get
> by with rsync. I have found though that the time to
> get rsync going efficiently doesn't pay for a one
> time operation. If this is done over a secure
> reliable network and not the Internet, you could do
> a dump | ssh restore type deal, maybe add a gzip
> step in there to compress over the wire and it's
> done.

If I understand you right,
you say that

hostA# dump / | ssh hostB restore

is more effective than:

hostA# rsync -a / hostB:/

Or you've said
> by with rsync. I have found though that the time to
> get rsync going efficiently doesn't pay for a one
about setup time?

rsync installation is very quick.
It's enough to simply install rsync package
and then you can run it (it uses ssh as transport).

> I have been playing around with the idea of using
> something like 'revisor' from Fedora to capture
> the basic system settings and packages into a
> kickstart install iso that you can use to install
> a PV that's identical to the source. Have it do
> an RPM audit of all config files except a few
> key ones like fstab, ifcfg etc and such and tar
> those up and have it extracted in the %post
> section of the kickstart... It's an interesting
> idea... Hmmm

Really interesting idea. Thank you for it.

I'm looking for the way how I can
automagically (without rsyncing, dumping and another big
data transfers) create clone of a system
from standard repositories.

Your idea is to package configs delta between
current system (that we want to clone) and fresh system
installed from repo state.

Cloned system configs - fresh system configs => delta.rpm

And after installing delta.rpm into fresh system
we will have system that will be equal to cloned.

Correct?

> -Ross

> This e-mail, and any attachments thereto, is intended only for use by
> the addressee(s) named herein and may contain legally privileged
> and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient
> of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
> distribution or copying of this e-mail, and any attachments thereto,
> is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error,
> please immediately notify the sender and permanently delete the
> original and any copy or printout thereof.

WBR, i.m.chubin