[Xen-users] Frustrating experience - Xen networking.

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Steve Lamb <grey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2008 01:23:36 -0800
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 04 Apr 2008 01:24:04 -0700

Hello,
I am having a frustrating time trying to get bridge networking working. I've gone over the Wiki page on the topic, a few of the howtoforge pages and everything that I am doing is failing utterly.

What I want to achieve is to have Dom0 be a stub running two DomUs. One DomU being a router/firewall and the other being the rest of what is on the current machine. However at this point I would be happy with just getting Dom0 talking to DomU and both talking to the local network. 1 interface card, 1 LAN. Baby steps.

    FWIW this is being done with Debian Etch using Xen 3.0.3.

Here are the relevant directives from xend-config.sxp. The _wip designation is for "work in progress". I have a working network-route configuration which I swap in when I need access to the LAN/Internet. That works like a charm for Dom0.

{grey@teleute:/etc/xen} grep -v # xend-config.sxp_wip | sort | uniq
(dom0-cpus 0)
(dom0-min-mem 196)
(logfile /var/log/xen/xend.log)
(loglevel DEBUG)
(network-script 'network-bridge netdev=eth1 bridge=xenbr1')
(vif-script vif-bridge)

    In the DomU configuration I have the following line:
vif = [ 'mac=00:16:3E:BA:17:79,bridge=xenbr1']

    When I boot up with that configuration the following happens:

eth1's IP, 192.168.1.21 gets moved onto xenbr1, is that right? The wiki page leads me to believe that is incorrect as the MAC/IP should go to veth1, correct?

    eth0 inside DomU is statically configured to 192.168.1.2.

    My network has a laptop on 192.168.1.7 which I am using as a ping target.

With the above configuration Dom0 sees neither DomU or the laptop. DomU sees neither Dom0 or the Laptop. And, frankly, I didn't ping from the laptop since it was across the room.

Any hints on a document which might help? I'm following all the directions I can find even though they don't sync with one another. In every case my results don't match the "viola!" at the end of the document.