From: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Bernie
Lofaso
Sent: Friday, April 04, 2008 1:27 PM
To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Building Xen 3.2 from source

While I've located a few threads on this topic from a few months ago, I
have not been successful at producing a working build given the
discussions from those threads, specifically the thread including:

http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2008-01/msg00699.html

I followed the instructions of the above message ... downloaded the
xen-3.2 tarball and unpacked it. Installed mercurial. (I'm doing this on
a Suse 10.3 distro which does not include mercurial.) Cloned the
mercurial source tree at the same level as the 'xen-3.2.0' directory
(i.e. 'xen-3.2.0' and 'linux-2.6.18-xen.hg' are in the same parent
directory). Then after cd'ing to the xen-3.2.0 directory I did a 'make
prep-kernels' ... that all seemed to work fine.  I copied a config file
over to 'build-linux-2.6.18-xen_x86_32' and then did a 'make dist'.
Eventually this died with the error "No rule to make target 'vmlinuz'".
I then cd'd to 'build-linux-2.6.18-xen_x86_32' and executed 'make'.
This appeared to succeed but created a vmlinux file instead of a vmlinuz
file. I proceeded to repeat the previously failed 'make dist' but it
eventually failed with the same complaint about not having a rule to
make vmlinuz.

I'm also a bit concerned that any of the above is doing the right thing.
I say this because as the first make executed, it appeared as though
ketchup was downloading kernel source rather than using the mercurial
build tree that I had previously manually downloaded. There are
directories 'linux-2.6.18' and 'build-linux-2.6.18-xen_x86_32' created,
but they seem to have a fair number of differences with the files from
'linux-2.6.18-xen.hg'.

Can anyone shed some light on what might be going on or what I'm doing
wrong?

I also noted that the linux-2.6.18 source that's offered on the xen.org
download page doesn't seem to be used in any of these build procedures.
It that correct?

Bernie Lofaso