Re: [Xen-users] Problems upgrading to Xen 3.1

> try "*noreboot*" in your kernel-line (where xen.gz is) in grub.conf.
> Maybe this will give you a clue on what's going on.

Good plan.  If any interesting stuff comes out you could just photograph it
with a digital camera.  Or for long output (or if you lack regular physical
access) you can use a serial line to capture output from Xen.

> > I've upgraded my Xen system from Xen 3.0.4 to Xen 3.1 by installing a new
> > xen.gz, new xen-tools and new xen-libs for my SLES10 system (using RPMs
> > provided through Novell). However, now the system doesn't boot up any
> > more.

Out of interest, did you uninstall the old Xen?  The userspace tools can get
mixed up and broken if you don't remove one version before installing a
different one.  It doesn't sound like that's your current problem though, as
what you're seeing happens too early during boot.

> > Basically, it seems to boot the Xen hypervisor (I can see all the
> > (XEN) messages), but then suddenly reboots instead of booting the Dom0
> > kernel. When upgrading to 3.1, do I actually also need to upgrade the
> > Dom0 kernel somehow?

The Xen<->dom0 kernel interface didn't change, so in that respect you don't
need to update the kernel...

However, between 3.0.4 and 3.1 the default memory model changed from being
non-PAE to PAE.  My guess is that your new Xen wants a PAE dom0 kernel,
whilst your older dom0 kernel is non-PAE.

The solution here is either to upgrade the kernel to the newer, PAE one that
presumably matches your new Xen packages?  Or to try to get some non-PAE Xen
3.1 packages.

> > If yes then how can I do that?

I'd think there should be appropriate packages available from the same source
you got your other upgrade packages.  Have you had any luck finding these?

> > I don't see any
> > errors in the boot logs, as the kernel doesn't even seem to start up at
> > all before the system suddenly reboots.

You'll probably find, once you've put noreboot on the Xen cmdline, that
there's a message saying something like "Xen and dom0 mismatched...  Xen is
PAE ... Dom0 is non-PAE".  not in exactly those words but something to that
effect.

Cheers,
Mark