Re: [Xen-users] Getting stuck just before booting Dom0

Hi Bhaskar,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

> I havent logged onto the machine through serial port. I am working on the
> machine directly. Just to grab the xen boot messages i am using serial
> console. I think problem is not with serial console. Because, i am getting
> the same problem even if i dont redirect Xen to serial console. Please find
> the grub configuration i am using to boot it.
>
> title Fedora (2.6.21.7-2.fc8xen-from-srpm)
>         root (hd0,0)
>         kernel /boot/xen.gz-2.6.21.7-2.fc8 com1=115200,8n1 sync_console
> noapic nolapic
>         module /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.21.7-2.fc8xen ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
> console=ttyS0 console=tty pnpacpi=off noapic nolapic
>         module /boot/initrd-2.6.21.7-2.fc8xen.img
>
> I will try to explain the problem in detail..

Well, for a start you could try getting rid of "rhgb quiet" and see if that
encourages the kernel to give you any more boot output.

I still think you should try redirecting kernel output directly to the Xen
console and see if that comes out of the serial line (adding xencons=ttyS to
your current kernel line should do the trick, I think).

> I am trying to boot Xen on top of a simulator.  I found that there are few
> issues with APIC module of that simulator. Still, Linux is able to boot
> without any issues.  Xen is failing to get ccr value from APIC while
> booting. So, I have hardcoded this value. Now, booting is going through
> without any errors, but it is getting stuck just before booting into Dom0
> as I mentioned in my previous mail.

Hmmmm.  So you're logged into the emulated serial line of the simulator, I
guess?  What simulator are you using?

I'm not terribly familiar with this code.  Xen sort-of requires an APIC.
Which is to say, you're really *supposed* to have one if you run Xen.  Early
versions of Xen didn't *need* one but didn't run as well without.  I don't
know if it's actually a supported configuration - I doubt anybody tests on
non-APIC systems, so it's quite possible that it doesn't work :-(

I realise that doesn't help much...  You might want to ask some questions on
xen-devel, explaining what you're trying to do and see if anybody has hints
about what might work.

Cheers,
Mark