RE: [Xen-users] how to use prebuilt images from jailtime.org?

  • To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Ross S. W. Walker" <rwalker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 10:15:48 -0400
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 07:16:24 -0700

Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Gordon McLellan wrote on Mon, 7 Apr 2008 14:00:31 -0400:
>
> > My only drawback at this time is soft-raid doesn't handle
> > multi user IO requests very well, the disk array gets swamped pretty
> > easy when multiple VMs are trying to read/write at the same time.
>
> So, for a high I/O DomUs you wouldn't recommend it?

The soft-raid that you talk about wouldn't happen to be a
raid5 or raid6?

In my tests of running a large number of VMs on top of RAID
is that you should use RAID10 as the io appears as a lot of
extremely random io traffic as each VM grabs a little data
from here or there all the time. The random io shouldn't
be so high to require SAS unless you put a LARGE number of
VMs on 1 array, but 2 6 disk SATA RAID10s should handle up
to 20 VMs nicely.

This analysis is irrespective of whether you run hardware
RAID or software RAID.

-Ross