Re: [Xen-users] How does one create a bridge interfaces in dom0 without IPs?

On April 9, 2008 10:04 am Freddie Cash wrote:
> I have an Ubuntu Hardy box running with Linux kernel 2.6.24 and Xen
> 3.2, and I cannot replicate this setup.  The included network-bridge
> script no longer accepts any parameters except "start/stop" and doesn't
> seem to create bridges for interfaces without IPs in dom0.
>
> How can I replicate the bridge setup that I have on my Xen 3.0 box,
> where bridges are created at boot on all the interfaces that are marked
> "up"?

What a royal pain to get bridging on multiple interfaces (not starting
with eth0) working on Xen 3.2!  (At least in the version included in
Ubuntu Hardy Heron.)

Why is it that the default network-bridge script assumes you only have 1
ethernet interface, that it is called eth0, that it has an active IP, and
that you want the bridge device named after the interface?

Why can't one pass parameters into it, like the virtual interface to use
(vifnum=), the physical interface to use (netdev=), and the name of the
bridge to create (bridge=)?  Like the Xen 3.0 script does.

In order to get things working like I have in Xen 3.0, I had to:
  - configure udev in dom0 to rename all my interfaces to make my
quad-port gigabit NIC use eth0-eth3
  - configure /etc/network/interfaces to assign bogus 127.0.0.x/24 IPs to
eth0-eth3 (and bring up eth6 using DHCP for the management interface)
  - write a wrapper script to call network-bridge 4 times with no
parameters (since it doesn't use them anymore)
  - re-write all my Xen 3.0 config files to use bridge=ethX instead of
bridge=xenbrX
  - purchase a toupee to cover up the bald spot I got tearing my hair out
over the past three days trying to get this to work
  - plaster over the holes in the drywall from banging my head against the
wall due to the general lack of documentation for all things Xen

Anyone with enough sh-foo willing to write a more usable, configurable
network-bridge script that works the way the Xen 3.0 one does (dropping
the 3.0 script in place or even the scripts/ directory doesn't work with
Xen 3.2)?  Something that will correctly take vifnum=, netdev=, and
bridge= options, and use them accordingly?  Something that can be used by
those of us that have beefy servers with multiple NICs that we want to
configure using multiple bridges.

Or be willing to explain to me how the network-script works, such that I
could re-write it to accept and *use* those options?  (I can't read the
current script well enough to follow what it is doing, and my attempts to
write a custom one using the "ip", "brctl", and what not commands have
all failed horribly.)

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash@xxxxxxxxx