Re: [Xen-users] 64bit guest on 32bit host

Mark Williamson escreveu:
    Is there some problem to achieve it?
    If it is possible, is there some specific doc about or I just have
to do a normal install?

If your host CPU is 32-bit then there's no way of running a 64-bit guest using
Xen - sorry.  You could try Qemu (http://www.qemu.org) which is a full
emulator and thus might be able to do what you want.

If you have a 64-bit CPU then you can (running a 64-bit Xen) run 32-bit *and*
64-bit Xen guests simultaneously.  You can even run a 32-bit dom0 ("host"
operating system) but /Xen itself has to be 64-bit/, which means that
your /hardware/ has to be 64-bit.

I hope this clears up any confusion.  Please ask more questions if you're
still unsure!

great! thank you all!
Unfortunately it is what I though :(

I`m building this guest as a live backup of a physical 64bit
machine running debian etch.
So, I think the best way, in such case, is to run a 32bit guest,
configure all services like the original and only make daily
copies of critical data (databases, mailboxes and some
variable confs like squid acls).

Regarding qemu, it appears very good, but has not the excellent
performance of xen, am I right?

Tom Lobato
www.tinecon.com.br