[Xen-users] How much is involved in porting a new OS to Xen full virtualizaiton?

  • To: "'xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 08:45:49 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 00:45:40 -0700

I'm looking at SCO OpenServer 5.0.6, for various reasons. I contacted Citrix, and they weren't interested in pursuing it as a new virtualization platform, so I'm stuck with VMware. But I'm finding VMware to be less snappy than I remember Xen being for other operating systems (and I've tried RHEL on both systems), and to have less graceful overall system tools for the server.

So, I'm thinking: what's involved in getting Xen to support a new OS for full virtualization? I've got a Dell server running RHEL 5.1 with plenty of disk and RAM, Intel chips with full virtualization turned on, it boots up from the installation CD and then hangs. This happens with RHEL's provided Xen software, the Xen 3.2 downloads, the commercial Xen server from Citrix, etc. So, what is involved in the debugging process for new guest OS's? Is there any estimate of how painful it would be to do?

SCO Openserver is running fine under VMware Workstation, telling it to use IDE disks instead of the driver complexity to use SCSI. So I assume that in theory, Xen could support a similar configuration, and get me away from the VMware bugs of refusing to admit that the image is being installed on another partition and the available space is from *THAT* partition, not my / partition. And the VMware init scripts don't handle auto-starting your multiple virtual images well except from a VNC, which I consider to be iinsane.