Re: [Xen-users] 3w-xxxx / 3ware 8006-2LP corruption issues using Xen kernel

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Holm Kapschitzki <holm@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 00:40:10 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 15:42:29 -0700

Bas Verhoeven schrieb:

I recently bought a new server with a 3Ware 8006-2LP controller to run
Xen on a Debian linux distribution:

- Server: ASUS RS120-E4/PA4
- Debian Release: etch
- Architecture: 32bit / 686
- Memory: 8 GB
- Disks: 2x Hitachi HDT725050VLA360
- Controller: 3ware 8006-2LP  (Driver Version = 1.26.02.001, Firmware
Version = FE8S 1.05.00.068, Bios Version = BE7X 1.08.00.048)

it is nearly the same hardware/os i use

After seeing that I remembered the errors at the debootstrap process,
and tried running this process again: still the same errors after a few
days, with several different mirrors.

same thing

So it's definite: something is going wrong when writing data TO disk. As
said earlier, I have a 3ware controller in this system (3w-xxxx driver),
having two disks in RAID-1 and figured that if there was a broken disk,
the controller would notify me, but it claimed all disks were OK.
Removing a random disk from the controller did cause the array to be
degraded, but I could still reproduce the corruption issues. So it's not
some specific disk that is broken, unless both disks are, which is
highly unlikely.

look at my ealier post, i describe the same problem.

http://www.nabble.com/dom0---tar:-Skipping-to-next-header-td16558409.html

so i get the error with etch 32 bit / 64 bit, xen 3.1 / 3.2 , with 2.6.18 kernel xen , with gentoo kernel 2.6.20r6 xen. It wasnt all the time. But i have to reboot the maschine to get it solved for a while. So i testet it with ca. 5 machines, setup in different ways with other kernels.

I think i could be a kernel compile parameter? or via chipset in relation to 3ware raid controller?

Greets Holm