From: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Just Anidiot
Sent: Wednesday, April 23, 2008 11:35 AM
To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] WinXP CD-ROM problems

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 11:23 AM, Tait Clarridge
<Tait.Clarridge@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> If the phy:\ is removed it won't see it. That is a given, I haven't
had
>  much luck with hooking xen to a physical cdrom device.

This use to work about 3-5 months ago.  I haven't needed it recently
until today.

>  How did you copy the WinXP install disk? What messages are you
getting,
>  is it from the Xen BIOS or something else...

Just with dd if=/dev/cdrom of=image.iso  Its been about a year since I
did it and that's how I installed Windows.  Of course today also WinXP
thinks it needs the disk for something stupid.

>  I have had no issues installing Windows XP in Xen before... do you
mind
>  posting your entire .hvm file and maybe the specs of your rig?

Here's my hvm file  (with the old disk line)
-------------------------------
import os, re
arch = os.uname()[4]
if re.search('64', arch):
    arch_libdir = 'lib64'
else:
    arch_libdir = 'lib'

kernel = "/usr/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader"

builder='hvm'

memory=512

shadow_memory = 8

name = "WinXP-001"

vif = [ 'type=ioemu, bridge=xenbr0' ]

disk = [ 'phy:/dev/VG_Guests/WinXP-001,ioemu:hda,w',
'file:/opt/xen_stuff/winxp.iso,hdc:cdrom,w',
'phy:/dev/scd0,hdd:cdrom,r' ]

device_model = '/usr/' + arch_libdir + '/xen/bin/qemu-dm'

boot="cd"

sdl=0

vnc=1

vnclisten="127.0.0.1"