RE: [Xen-users] pulseaudio

  • To: "jim burns" <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Ross S. W. Walker" <rwalker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 11:38:16 -0400
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 08:39:33 -0700

jim burns wrote:

> On Monday April 21 2008 10:42:21 pm Christian Lyra wrote:
> > oad-module module-esound-protocol-tcp auth-ip-acl=127.0.0.1;192.168.0.0/16
> > load-module module-native-protocol-tcp auth-ip-acl=127.0.0.1;192.168.0.0/16
> >
> > 4 - install winesd on hvm windows (just follow the instructions on the
> > page):
> >
> > http://www.clingman.org/winesd/
>
> Ok - I take it back. Despite the syslog errors, I'm able to make a connection
> to my dom0 sound server from my fedora rawhide pv domu.
>
> Then I tried winesd. Too bad it doesn't seem there has been any development
> since 2000. It works, but with a lot of skips and repeats in my winxp hvm.
> Plus it seems like pulseaudio gets overwhelmed very easily, and exits. I'll
> try experimenting with realtime or nice-ing.
>
> To answer my previous question about the format of the PULSE_SERVER variable,
> it's just like the format of the registry key the winesd page has you
> setup - 'hostname:port#'. Port# is 16001 for winesd. On linux, 4713 worked
> for me. I would imagine 16001 would work also (for esd).

Forget winesd, on the Xen PV have snd-dummy loaded. If you are using X-Windows
and XDMCP to connect to your remove hosts you can have them set the PULSESERVER
on login by querying out the hostname on the $DISPLAY string and setting a
global environment variable.

I use KDE and kdm which has a /etc/kde/env directory where it whatever script
you have there on login to set global environment variables. In this directory
I have:

/etc/kde/env/pulse.sh:
PULSE_SERVER="${DISPLAY%%:*}"
if [ -n "${PULSE_SERVER}" ]; then
        export PULSE_SERVER
fi

/etc/kde/env/esd.sh
ESPEAKER="${DISPLAY%%:*}"
if [ -n "${ESPEAKER}" ]; then
        export ESPEAKER
        export ESDDSP_MIXER=1
fi

Maybe gdm has similar environment setup?

Oh, if you are using a distro where alsa isn't auto redirected to pulse
you will need the pulse-libs, alsa-pulse plugin and an asound.conf like:

/etc/asound.conf:
pcm.pulse {
        type pulse
}