Re: [Xen-users] HVM FreeBSD 7.0 DomU at Xen 3.2 CentOS 5.1 Dom0(64-bit)

  • To: bderzhavets@xxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Freddie Cash" <fjwcash@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 11:31:37 -0700
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 11:32:04 -0700

On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 9:29 PM, Boris Derzhavets <bderzhavets@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Freddie,
>  Is your box built on AMD chips ?
>  I was told that Intel (C2D) based boxes wouldn't
>  support some Xen 3.2 VT code.

Yes, we're using AMD processors (our shop has been 98% AMD since the
Athlon-MP was released).  Although Xen 3.2 is supposed to have the
fixes needed to run FreeBSD in an HVM on Intel CPUs.

Our setup:
  Tyan h2000M motherbord
  2x dual-core Opteron 2200-series @ 2.8 GHz
  8 GB DDR2-667 ECC SDRAM
  3Ware 9650SE-12ML PCIe RAID controller
  12x 500 GB SATA-II HDs in a RAID6
      (auto-carved into 1 TB chunks and then added to an LVM
        volume group, since device-mapper in Debian Lenny
        chokes on pysical devices larger than 2 TB)
  24-bay hotswappable SATA backplane
  Intel Pro/1000MT quad-port PCIe NIC
  5U case with 4-way redundant powersupply

  Originally running Ubuntu Hardy with Xen 3.2
  Currently running Debian Lenny with KVM-60

I had the following Xen 3.2 HVMs running on the system:
  2x 32-bit FreeBSD 6.2
  2x 32-bit FreeBSD 7.0
  1x 64-bit FreeBSD 7.0
  1x 32-bit Windows XP
  2x 32-bit CentOS 5.1  (these have since been replaced with 64-bit
CentOS 5.1 installs)

Since these were done using logical volumes as the basis for the
virtual harddrives, I was able to keep the storage while I did a bunch
of Debian and Ubuntu installs trying to find the most stable Xen
setup.  Then when I moved to KVM, it was as as simple as pointing KVM
to same logical volume.

The Xen setup had 4 separate bridges (eth0 through 3, gigabit ports)
that I manually assigned to the various HVMs, since I was never able
to get a bonded interface in the dom0 to pass packets through the
bridge.

The KVM setup has a single bridge device comprised of a bonded
interface made up of the 4 gigabit interfaces.

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash@xxxxxxxxx