Re: [Xen-users] Release 0.8.9 of GPL PV drivers for Windows

On Saturday April 26 2008 10:12:33 pm James Harper wrote:
> Hmmm... uninstall.bat is a work in progress and probably shouldn't have
> been included. I suspect that if you rebooted after running
> uninstall.bat but before running install.bat you would have had an
> unbootable system.

Well, for the first time since 0.8.4, I got winxp to boot w/ /gplpv, using
0.8.9. I booted w/o /gplpv and then ran uninstall.bat. Because of the warning
above, I ran install.bat right away w/o a reboot. The final screen came up
and said all drivers were updated except xennet, which was 'Ready to Use'.
Then I rebooted w/ /gplpv, and the Find New Hardware Wizard came up
automatically and guided me through installing xennet w/o a hitch.

I had previously disabled all the new features in Device Manager's Xen Net
Device Driver Properties' Advanced Tab. (This was done by copying over the
0.8.4 files so I could boot w/o a BSOD.) An 'iperf -c dom0-name -t 60' came
up with 27.3 Mbits/s. I then proceeded to turn on each feature one at a time
in the Advanced tab, and rebooting w/ /gplpv. Device Manager invariably hung
after enabling each feature, which caused the reboot to hang. All
measurements are with vcpus=2, unless noted otherwise.

After adding enabling Checksum Offload, iperf gave 30.5 Mb/s.

After adding setting 61440 for Large Send Offload, iperf gave 25.3 Mb/s.

After adding enabling Scatter/Gather, iperf gave 25.1 Mb/s.

So there are minor variations with and w/o the various options, but on the
whole, much better than the last version I could test, 0.8.4.

From James' original post:
> From the testing I've done, on a UP windows DomU, with iperf options '-l
> 1M -w 1M', with the iperf server running in Dom0, I get TX throughput of
> about 1.5Gbits/second and RX throughput of about 0.5Gbits/second. When I
> tried it under SMP it worked, but the performance was horrible. Probably
> best if you don't run it under SMP for the moment :)

Doing 'iperf -c dom0-name -l 1M -w 1M' gives 28.8 Mb/s, and reversing the
direction (winxp as iperf server) gives 30.2 Mb/s.

Going down to vcpu=1, dom0 as server gives 27.1 Mb/s, and domu as server gives
35.7 Mb/s, so there is not a lot of difference between 1 and 2 vcpus for me.

Nice improvements. I will test disk i/o w/ iometer later.