Re: [Xen-users] Advantages of HVM vs. paravirtualization in a Linux-only enviroment?

> Newbie here. My hardware supports HVM (full virtualization), but I only
> need to run Linux on it.  I initially tried to create a HVM domU, but
> couldn't get pciback to work with a telephony card I need for use with
> Asterisk. However everything seems to be working fine under a
> paravirtualized guest as long as I use permissive mode on the card. (Knock
> on wood-I've had some weird instability issues prior enabling permissive
> mode).
>

> Is there any real advantage to using HVM if I don't need to virtualize
> Windows?  And if there is, how do I go about passing through PCI cards to
> the HVM guest?  I'm trying to figure out if it's worth me continuing to
> hack on this problem.

No performance advantage to HVM, in that it currently incurs a necessary
performance penalty (how much depends on exactly what you're doing).

HVM does have the advantage of closely resembling a real physical machine,
which can be useful for some purposes.  Also handy for running other un
xenified OSes, specific versions of Linux kernels, etc.

Also, I think that the 3.2 release provides support for /securely/[*] doing
PCI passthrough (but only if your system has an Intel IOMMU, I think).  That
release may not include support for using the IOMMU for PCI passthrough to PV
domains but I know patches have been submitted so it will definitely be
available in the future.

[*] PCI passthrough requires that you trust the domU in question with
dom0-equivalent privilege, since it can destabilise the machine and
potentially access all memory by abusing the DMA facility of the PCI device.

Cheers,
Mark