Re: [Xen-users] Creating a RHELGuest VM

Hi there,

> I have installed a new RHEL for virtualization purposes, so xen domain0 is
> running well as well as the hypervisor. However, I am having troubles
> creating a guest domain; because once I start my Virtual Machine Management
> and attempt to create a new guest domain, the new domain does not see any
> of the medias that the domai0 has (cdram, scsi disk partition etc...)

I assume your dom0 OS is running something like RHEL5 and you're using the
default RHEL Xen packages, plus the virt-manager GUI.  Is that right?

virt-manager is very good for installing RedHat-like guests - for instance,
RHEL, CentOS, Fedora, etc.  There are a number of possibilities for the
install:

Paravirtualised:
- give virt-manager a network location from which the install may proceed;
it'll then launch a guest which will configure networking and then install
from that location

Fully virtualised:
- give virt-manager a filessytem location for an ISO CDROM image file, which
may be used as a virtual installation CD.
- give virt-manager a device name for your real CDROM drive to install from
physical media

> Therefore, I am wondering how can actually export these divices so that the
> new domain can see them. Since the guest domain cannot see any of these
> defices, the installion process of any guest divice does not finish.
>
> I know there is probably something basic that I am missing, so please give
> me some ropes to hold. this whole environment is kind of new to me... THANK
> YOU ALL

Hopefully the information above will be useful to you.  If it's not enough,
we'll need some more information from you including:

* What tools you're using (virt-manager or other, RHEL dom0 distro or other,
etc)
* What exactly you've done so far.
* What happened (what output / error messages you saw, where things are stuck)

Cheers,
Mark