Re: [Xen-users] Re: DomU on LVM

Ross S. W. Walker wrote:
So IMHO a better way to do it is to export each lv as
a separate disk and make one single partition of whole
such disk in domU:
/dev/vg/lv1 -> /dev/hda -> /dev/hda1 --> /
/dev/vg/lv2 -> /dev/hdb -> /dev/hdb1 --> /var
/dev/vg/lv3 -> /dev/hdc -> /dev/hdc1 --> /home

Resizing is extremly easy (lvextend, resize2fs)
and it can be done online if ext3 is used.

The only disadvantage is you can't mount such filesystem
directly, you need to run 'kpartx -a' first to map nested
domuU block devies in dom0. But that's also pretty easy.

What would be the practical reason for that as opposed to
allocating a bigger LV to contain all partitions?

For me the advantage would be that I'm able to resize the different partitions. If I use the LV as complete disk I only could extend the last partition in DomU.

Wolfgang