Re: [Xen-users] reseize image that was created with virt-install

  • To: "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Todd Deshane" <deshantm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 22:39:17 -0400
  • Cc: Heiko <rupertt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 08 May 2008 19:39:46 -0700

Hi Rupert,

It is much better to keep the conversation on the xen-users, that
way there are more people that can help out and benefit.

 > Hello,
 >
 > great links. Now I can mount my images ;).
 > But I still cant resize them:
 >
 > Disk /dev/loop7: 16.2GB
 > Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
 > Partition Table: msdos
 >
 > Number  Start   End     Size    Type     File system  Flags
 >  1      32.3kB  10.7GB  10.7GB  primary  ext3         boot
 >
 > (parted) resize
 > Partition number? 1
 > Start?  [32.3kB]? 10.7GB
 > End?  [10.7GB]? 16.2GB
 > (parted) print
 >
 > Model: Unknown (unknown)
 > Disk /dev/loop7: 16.2GB
 > Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
 > Partition Table: msdos
 >
 > Number  Start   End     Size    Type     File system  Flags
 >  1      32.3kB  10.7GB  10.7GB  primary  ext3         boot
 >

 > this somehow doenst work, but gives me no errors.
 > When i try parted on the mapper device it doesnt see the extra space:
 > Disk /dev/mapper/loop7p1: 10.7GB
 >

 > i could copy all the files to a new image, but I would prefer resizing
 > the original one.

There is a tricky dd command that can handle this one

Look here for advice:
http://xen.markmail.org/search/?q=dd+resize+image#query:dd%20resize%20image+page:1+mid:z72mlicnm526un4n+state:results

 > i just tried to copy the filesystem to a new image, this gave me a
kernel panic.
 > Now I cant even do a xm list,

 > xm list
 > Error: Boot loader didn't return any data!
 > Usage: xm list [options] [Domain, ...]

 > List information about all/some domains.
 > -l, --long                     Output all VM details in SXP
 > --label                        Include security labels

 > how can I fix this? There are still running 3 other VM on the machine
 > that I need to work with,
 > I can reach them with ssh, but my monitoring complains about that (i
 > use the xm command to check the VM)

I am not sure why xm list is giving that error. Are you running it
from the dom0?

What did you copy over that made xm list not work?

Regards,
Todd