Re: [Xen-users] "routed" networking under Xen 3.2.1 / HVM?

Ray Barnes <tical.net@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Understanding that HVM does not support routed networking in the
> sense that we're accustomed to with paravirtualized guests, I'm
> hoping there is some similar use-case scenario I've missed.

I made this work with Xen 3.1 and hvm guests.

Probably the easiest way is to hard code the routing you want in
/etc/xen/qemu-ifup.

The interface is passed in as argument $1 and the bridge name as
argument $2.  Since you aren't bridging you can use the bridge name to
decide how to configure the interface with a shell case statement.

Eg in your /etc/xen/MYDOMAIN file

vif = [ 'type=ioemu, ip=10.1.2.3, bridge=MYDOMAIN' ]

Then in /etc/xen/qemu-ifup something like (untested)

#!/bin/sh

if=$1
bridge=$2

case "$bridge" in
    MYDOMAIN)
        ifconfig $if 1.2.3.2 netmask 255.255.255.255 up
        route add -host 1.2.3.3 dev $if
        ;;
    MYDOMAIN2)
        #...
        ;;
esac

echo 1 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/${if}/proxy_arp
echo 1 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/${if}/rp_filter

You need to make the usual changes for routing rather than bridging in
xen also.

I actually did this in a different very much more complicated way
which allowed the original routing scripts to work.  This way should
work and be a lot simpler though!

--
Nick Craig-Wood <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> -- http://www.craig-wood.com/nick