Re: [Xen-users] PCI passthrough for domU?

  • To: "Michael Jinks" <mjinks@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Todd Deshane" <deshantm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 09:30:14 -0400
  • Cc: Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 13 May 2008 06:31:01 -0700

Hi Michael,

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 12:35 AM, Michael Jinks <mjinks@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Now that my Solaris domU is working (thanks again, all), I have a PCI
NIC that I'd like to pass through to it.  Searching the archive I've
found the threads saying passthrough isn't ready for dom0 yet (or wasn't
as of earlier this year), but I haven't been able to find anything about
domU recognizing passed-through devices, yea or nay.

I went ahead and tried it (my dom0 works for this, can pass the same
device through to domains running Linux) but the device didn't magically
appear on a reboot with /reconfigure, so before I spend a lot of time on
this I thought I'd better ask if it works in general.

passthrough in general is known to work for PV guests. I have personal experience
Linux to Linux. Work is still in progress for HVM guests I believe, so that is likely
to still be a tougher thing to get working until the support for that has officially
been released and out there for a bit. If the solaris guest is running as a PV guest
I would expect that it should work, I would double-check with the solaris xen guys
they would have a better intuition and some may have tried it.

Cheers,
Todd