[Xen-users] Solaris domU and PCI? was, Re: PCI passthrough for domU?

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 09:30:14AM -0400, Todd Deshane wrote:
> On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 12:35 AM, Michael Jinks <mjinks@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
<snip>
> > I went ahead and tried it (my dom0 works for this, can pass the same
> > device through to domains running Linux) but the device didn't magically
> > appear on a reboot with /reconfigure, so before I spend a lot of time on
> > this I thought I'd better ask if it works in general.
>
> passthrough in general is known to work for PV guests.

Yeah, I've had it working in a couple of Linux guests, on this same
dom0, and the Solaris guest is running in PV mode.

> I would expect that it should work, I would double-check with the solaris
> xen guys
> they would have a better intuition and some may have tried it.

Yep, I know some of them watch this list, was hoping they'd chime in,
but now I realize I should have put Solaris in the subject line.

I used to be a Solaris admin but it was a while ago, and I never did
much with the x86 port, so I'm not sure what I should expect to see
under /devices, but there's nothing there that calls itself
"pci"-anything, so I'm wondering if the domU kernel (whether in general
or just in my case) can't see the PCI bus.

I haven't actually tried plumbing the interface yet, maybe I should be
trying to figure out what Solaris calls an nForce ethernet card and give
it a shot...