Re: [Xen-users] Invalid install location

  • To: isplist@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Todd Deshane" <deshantm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 13:49:00 -0400
  • Cc: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 14 May 2008 10:49:35 -0700

> This is true from paravirtualized (PV) guests. But if you have the right
> hardware support (VT-x or AMD-V) you can run unmodified guests

In this case, it's an IBM x445. I thought I had the right hardware but the Fully Virtualized option isn't available, it's grayed out. Perhaps I need to change a setting to allow it's use?

The easy way to check is to check for the vmx cpu flag (since it is an Intel chip) in /proc/cpuinfo
(for AMD that flag is svm)

You may just need to turn on virutalization support in the BIOS.

UPDATE: Thanks Jeff Jane for knowing that hardware for sure.

>> I decided to give it a try using a qmail distro.
> I don't know much about this one, so I won't be
> of help right away. Is it Linux based?

Yes, it's a pre-installed qmail system and it is indeed Linux.

For a Linux guest you may simply be able to make a custom PV guest config file manually.

save the following in a file and store it in /etc/xen

kernel = "/boot/<dom0 kernel>"
ramdisk = "/boot/<dom0 initrd>"
disk = ['tap:aio:/path/to/qmail-disk-image,hda,w']
memory=<number in megabytes>
vif = [' ']

If it is a disk partition already (not mounted) change the disk line to:
disk = ['phy:/path/to/qmail-partition,hda1,w']

see the details of the config file here
http://linux.die.net/man/5/xmdomain.cfg

Then you can try to run:
xm create -c <configuration file name>

Note the -c is to see an initial console, that will show you a boot process and then the qmail guest if all goes well.

Cheers,
Todd