Re: [Xen-users] virtualbox vs. xen - ease of domU installation

On Thursday 15 May 2008, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I've just started playing with Virtualbox - and boy do they make
> installing virtual machines easy.  Download an .iso of a netinstall CD,
> point Virtualbox at it, and you have a window that behaves just like a
> normal install.  Worked like a charm with both Debian Sarge and Etch
> images - doesn't seem to require any special bits in the guest O/Ss.
>
> I did all my playing so far with Virtualbox running under OpenSolaris.
> No problem getting Debian to run, but serious problems with the BSD
> varients, so far.

Although you still have to be booted into a Xenified kernel, the virt-manager
app developed primarily by RedHat and shipped in Fedora, RHEL and CentOS
makes installing Xen guests (all HVM guests, and Redhat-like PV guests)
similarly friendly.  They were also working on support for Suse PV guests,
although I don't know if that came to anything.

Setting up Xen does lack some of the simplicity of being able to install
something that acts more like a "normal application", though.

Cheers,
Mark