RE: [Xen-users] IBM x445, anyone using it?

On Fri, 16 May 2008 17:51:18 -0500, [STD]Ein wrote:
> As a standalone (not running it in a clustered multi-chassis configuration)
> I can see no reason why it would not be xen compatible, it is simply a 2cpu
> Xeon box.  If you are planning on clustering it, things may change and you
> would be best suited contacting an IBM rep.

The machines I have are all 8-way XEON's. I do not have any clustered or
extended to 16-way.

Someone was telling me in another thread that these machines are not, might
not, be Xen compatible machines.

> Nothing to change (in BIOS). You're gonna need much newer hardware if you want
> HVM.  The x445 is pretty old and the processors and BIOS on those
> systems do not support hardware virtualization.

I do have VirtMan running, it see's dom0, 16 VCPU's, 8GB memory.
However, when I try to install a guest, I am not getting anywhere.

I copied a distro to a location on the xen host.
I went through the new virtual server configuration.
The default install path is; /var/lib/xen/images/mynewinstall.img
When I try to install, I keep getting; Invalid install location

I thought I had the right hardware but the Fully Virtualized option isn't
available, it's grayed out.

Mike