Re: [Xen-users] Xen 3.2.1, Intel DQ35JO tips

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 09:48:08AM -0500, Jefferson E. Noxon wrote:
> I thought I'd pass along a few tips for getting the Intel DQ35JO
> motherboard to play nice with Xen:
>
> 1. The dom0 kernel won't boot with CONFIG_PCI_MMCONFIG enabled.
>
> If you get a hang during boot after seeing this message:
>
>       ACPI: PCI Root Bridge [PCI0] (0000:00)
>
> ...then MMCONFIG is your problem.
>
> Some kernels seem to support a pci=nommconfig option, but my Gentoo
> 2.6.21 Xen kernel didn't.  The solution was to build the kernel without
> MMCONFIG.  A temporary workaround is to boot with acpi=off, but you
> won't get SMP support if you turn off ACPI.
>
> (Confirmed with BIOS 0882 and 0559)

I'm using "pci=nommconf" with RHEL/CentOS 5.1 kernels.

> 4. The AMT/vPro management function seems to work just fine with Xen & Linux

Did you get the remote console working with grub? ie. being able to reboot
the server through intel amt/vpro and and access grub over the
serial-over-lan thing to be able to choose what kernel to boot etc..

-- Pasi