[Xen-users] development machine with xen on gentoo

Hi all.

We just put a relative large server in operation (for our measures ;-) ), a 4x Dual Core / Intel with 16GB Ram and a 3ware 9550SX SATA-RAID with 4 drives. Operating system for the Dom0 is an up-to-date gentoo linux.

Everything runs really fine, there are 4 Domu's running, 1x gentoo and 2x debian and 1x Windows Server 2003. DomU's are running blazing fast in normal work, no problems at all.

Problems appear on the Dom0 when doing a lot of traffic on the harddrives, for example when copying a large image-file or unpacking archived images. When doing that the performance on all Dom's goes rapidly down. But _only_ when doing this on the Dom0. Traffic on a DomU doesn't result in this behaviour. For example, copying an image with 1GB took about an hour. IO waitstates are really high on the virtual machines in this situation.

Can someone give me a hint what this could be? Or maybe a hint about which tools can help me to find the source of the problem. I only have experience with smaller Xen-installations, and never experienced problems this way.

Any help would be appreciated.

Bye, Stephan