[Xen-users] Bad experience in mounting a domU disk

  • To: Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Alain Barthe" <ab266061@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 11:00:43 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 04 Jun 2008 02:01:14 -0700

Hello,

It is well known that mounting a filesystem read write on two places simultaneously destroys systematically this filesystem.

I done a script that mount read only the filesystem of a domU on the dom0. Bad idea : after a while, the filesystem becomes read-only to the domU, although mounts appear to be rw. At the reboot of this domU, the root filesystem were corrupted and the domU entered in maintenance mode. The fsck fixed the inconsistency and now things seem to be OK. Big fear.

I don't understand how a read-only mount can corrupt a filesystem. Does it mean that something is written on the device, even if it is read-only ? Or does the read-only mount disturb the regular disk activity that is mounted rw elsewhere ?

I am interested by your advice on this problem.

Thanks.

Alain.